- Award winning & kid-safe, with Shoonya Kids can explore 5 languages in a single app through immersive, bite-sized, theme-based activities and culturally diverse characters. Shoonya Kids creates an environment where children can interact with characters that look like them, and environments that showcase landscapes from around the world.
- This Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, as we honor the contributions of Asian people to America and the world, we are bringing attention to the diversity of Asian Americans through the addition of beautifully designed traditional Chinese, Japanese, and Hawaiian clothing.
New Release Celebrates AAPI Heritage Month
New Features Include:
- A special In-App Event celebrates Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month!
- We’ve added new, specially designed traditional Chinese, Japanese, and Hawaiian clothing.
- An improved matching game activity tests children’s memory as they play and learn vocabulary.
- New rewards center offerings bring more beautiful clothing for children to play with and dress up avatars.
- New updates and significant improvements to the UI and flow of the app.
- Available in 5 languages: English, Spanish, Hindi, Telugu and Marathi.
According to research done by Tufts University, (Eliot-Pearson Department of Child Study & Human Development | Tufts University), there is a lack of cultural representation in mainstream media, and this is something that is on parent’s minds. In a study examining more than 1500 cartoon characters, 75% of the cartoon characters were white, only 17% were characters of color, and 1/3 of the “bad guy” characters had non-American accents.
As an Asian American woman and mother this pain point deeply resonates with Shoonya Founder & CEO Rashi Bahri Chitnis. With research on minority representation in children’s media suggesting that popular media does a very poor job of showing children characters that look and act like them, Shoonya is determined to change the landscape of language learning with an emphasis on cultural representation. As we honor the contributions of Asian people to America and the world this month, we are bringing attention to the diversity of Asian Americans through the addition of beautifully designed traditional Chinese, Japanese, and Hawaiian clothing.
Parents and Kids Alike Love Shoonya Kids!
Did you know more than half the world is at least bilingual? India recognises 24 official languages, South Africa has 11 and Zimbabwe lists 16.